Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Background information

Most people who are going to be reading this already know me, but for those of you who do not: This should get you caught up. During high school, I went to Bollman Technical Education Center. I took several classes, but one in particular is worth mentioning. The class was for computer networking, and as part of Bollman's curriculum required me to do job training. This job training and my grades landed me a job as an IT intern for the school district. At that point, I was planning for a career in videogame design. I'm absolutely obsessed with games and they were my sole hobby for about 10 years straight (Although, I haven't been able to play for quite a while now). During the IT internship, I decided I could work IT in order to earn money for classes and try to start my own game company. I went to school at Frontrange Community College to get some basics down for a business degree. I was told I could finish in two years with an associate's and two years later I was half a degree away from finishing at all. I was planning on continuing with the boring pattern, but a seemingly random event changed my mind. A friend of my dad's, Rama (see links to the right) invited us to an open house at his culinary school. Take a wild guess as to which school. Dad was going because he was interested. My mom, brother, and I were going because it was free food. Shush, you can't honestly say you wouldn't do the same. While my dad listened to the culinary arts program presentation, I attended the pastry arts one. I've always had an eye for art, so I was actually interested. Thought it'd be a natural fit with my perfectionism and artistic nature. So I considered the career path change. I won't bore you with the details, but it took about a month or so of agonizing over the decision. I applied for the pastry program, but after turning in all the paperwork I changed my mind. I was seriously bored with desserts and sweet things, I wanted to be less specific (and narrow) in my approach, and I didn't want to have to go back to school if I changed my mind. So I changed over to culinary arts instead of pastry. It's quite a bit more expensive, but clearly worth the expense. No buyer's remorse yet, and I don't anticipate any. There was a little hesitation with letting family members be in the same class, and even more considering the father/daughter relationship, but we were both accepted to the class.

I owe a very big thank you to both my father and to Rama. So thank you, this is far better than sitting at a desk all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment